Posts Tagged ‘for dad’
My dad — a Bond movie fan and avid Ian Fleming reader — made 007 movies like Goldfinger our reward for the tough chores. After hours of housework, I’d see Sean Connery on The ABC Sunday Night Movie, edited for TV broadcast.
This Father’s Day, I gave Dad a trio of James Bond gifts.
- Carte Blanche: The New James Bond Novel in hardcover.
Jeffery Deaver has rebooted Bond. Deaver updates 007 to an Afghanistan/Iraq veteran and a former smoker, while retaining Bond’s classic smooth spy persona.
- Volume 1 of the Sean Connery 007 Collection on DVD.
For my dad, Sean Connery is Bond, James Bond. Volume 1 features Thunderball, You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever.
- Volume 2 of the Sean Connery 007 Collection on DVD.
Volume 2 continues the iconic Bondfest: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger.
Tags: books, dvds, father's day, for dad, guy gifts, movies
My dad loves London’s consulting detective. For his birthday, I tracked down two Sherlock Holmes DVD gifts. The TV show Sherlock: Season One ($24) re-imagines Holmes as a 21st century sleuth (with GPS, Internet and texting).
Next, I paired 2010’s Sherlock with the classic 1940s Holmes. The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection ($75) features all 14 Sherlock Holmes films, starring the inimitable Basil Rathbone. If you think the complete DVD box set is too much, consider giving these two double feature DVDs:
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Scarlet Claw ($14)
- The Hound of the Baskervilles and Pursuit to Algiers ($16)
Depending on what DVD he plays, either “The game is afoot” with classic Holmes or “The game is on” with the new Sherlock.
Tags: birthday, dvds, for dad, gift ideas, guy gifts, movies, television shows
Every year on December 31, my wife greets me with a “Hap-py birthday!” — said just like Frosty the Snowman when he magically comes to life. And I am happy. I received two cool techie birthday gifts today. First, she gave me a cast-metal at‑sign (@) paperweight. It’s the ubiquitous at-sign that makes e-mail addresses and Twitter replies possible. Finished in weathered zinc, this hefty, four-inch-high at-sign is from Restoration Hardware’s cast-metal letters collection.
Next, I became the proud owner of the new, second-generation Apple TV. I connected this black box to the new 32-inch Toshiba HDTV/DVD combo in the master bedroom. In no time, my TV tapped movies, television shows, songs and photos from my iMac in the second-floor study. YouTube and Flickr came in flawlessly. I haven’t tried Netflix or video rentals yet. Overall, I love the clean simplicity of Apple TV’s on-screen menus, the gorgeous album covers that float in while my music plays, and the sleek, small design of both the box and the remote. All for an amazing price of $99.
Tags: birthday, for dad, gadgets, gift ideas, guy gifts, movies, music, photos, television shows
Happy Father’s Day! This year, the celebration of Dad turns 100 years old.
I gave my dad an even more established gift: a few bags of Eight O’Clock Coffee (100% Colombian Ground). This coffee brand has been perking up fathers for more than 150 years, and I know he likes it. Taste matters most for my dad, and Eight O’Clock bested other ground coffees (like Folgers, Maxwell House, and Starbucks) in a blind taste test by Consumer Reports in March 2009.
Now I could pair the coffee with a “World’s Greatest Dad” mug. But his style is more understated. Six months ago, we had brunch at the Cheesecake Factory, which serves coffee in elegant glass mugs. He really liked the mugs, so I picked out a set of four Bodum Bistro Double-Wall Insulated 10-Ounce Glass Mugs.
Tags: coffee, father's day, for dad, gift ideas, guy gifts
- Boat Warming Gifts (8/7/2010)
- Father’s Day 2010 (6/20/2010)
- NFL Gridiron Gift Ideas (12/27/2009)
- Father’s Day 2009 (6/21/2009)
- The Gift of Calvin and Hobbes (6/7/2009)
- 7 Cool Tools for Dad from ThinkGeek (5/30/2009)
- 13 Father’s Day Gift Guides (5/27/2009)
- Better Than Tube Socks: 21 Last-minute Online Gifts for Guys (12/22/2008)
- The Gift of Omaha Steaks (7/13/2008)
- Father’s Day 2008 (6/15/2008)
- Guy Gift Guideline #6: Go with Manly Gifts (2/9/2008)
- Gifts for TV Show Fanatics (12/16/2007)
- Give the Gift of Charity (12/14/2007)
- Golden Tickets: Giving the Gift of a Concert (8/8/2007)
- Movie Night Gift (7/22/2007)
- Twenty-five “1,000-Plus” Book Gifts (7/20/2007)
- Giving the Gift of Food (5/19/2007)
Tags: father's day, for dad, gifts by occasion