Posts Tagged ‘father’s day’
My dad — a Bond movie fan and avid Ian Fleming reader — made 007 movies like Goldfinger our reward for the tough chores. After hours of housework, I’d see Sean Connery on The ABC Sunday Night Movie, edited for TV broadcast.
This Father’s Day, I gave Dad a trio of James Bond gifts.
- Carte Blanche: The New James Bond Novel in hardcover.
Jeffery Deaver has rebooted Bond. Deaver updates 007 to an Afghanistan/Iraq veteran and a former smoker, while retaining Bond’s classic smooth spy persona.
- Volume 1 of the Sean Connery 007 Collection on DVD.
For my dad, Sean Connery is Bond, James Bond. Volume 1 features Thunderball, You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever.
- Volume 2 of the Sean Connery 007 Collection on DVD.
Volume 2 continues the iconic Bondfest: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger.
Tags: books, dvds, father's day, for dad, guy gifts, movies
Break out the bubbly — my brother-in-law bought a fishing boat today. Before that champagne bottle breaks across the bow, we sent him a few boat warming gifts that I found on Amazon.com.
|Self-Inflating Key Buoy (2 Pack)
Imagine the keys to your new boat go overboard. Don’t panic. Within 90 seconds, Key Buoy inflates an easy-to-spot, bright orange tube that brings your keys to the surface and keeps them floating for up to 40 minutes ($10).
|The Absorber XL Synthetic Drying Chamois
While on the lake, water splashes into the boat from waves and boat wake. Soak up that water fast with the Absorber XL, an 18-by-29-inch super drying chamois ($13).
|MaxFire Marine Dual Xenon Spotlight
You never know when you will need to cut through darkness, fog, rain, smoke or murky water to see clearly from the boat. This rechargeable marine spotlight runs for 40 minutes with both Xenon bulbs lit ($25).
Tags: father's day, gadgets, gift ideas, guy gifts
Happy Father’s Day! This year, the celebration of Dad turns 100 years old.
I gave my dad an even more established gift: a few bags of Eight O’Clock Coffee (100% Colombian Ground). This coffee brand has been perking up fathers for more than 150 years, and I know he likes it. Taste matters most for my dad, and Eight O’Clock bested other ground coffees (like Folgers, Maxwell House, and Starbucks) in a blind taste test by Consumer Reports in March 2009.
Now I could pair the coffee with a “World’s Greatest Dad” mug. But his style is more understated. Six months ago, we had brunch at the Cheesecake Factory, which serves coffee in elegant glass mugs. He really liked the mugs, so I picked out a set of four Bodum Bistro Double-Wall Insulated 10-Ounce Glass Mugs.
Tags: coffee, father's day, for dad, gift ideas, guy gifts
- Boat Warming Gifts (8/7/2010)
- Father’s Day 2010 (6/20/2010)
- NFL Gridiron Gift Ideas (12/27/2009)
- Father’s Day 2009 (6/21/2009)
- The Gift of Calvin and Hobbes (6/7/2009)
- 7 Cool Tools for Dad from ThinkGeek (5/30/2009)
- 13 Father’s Day Gift Guides (5/27/2009)
- Better Than Tube Socks: 21 Last-minute Online Gifts for Guys (12/22/2008)
- The Gift of Omaha Steaks (7/13/2008)
- Father’s Day 2008 (6/15/2008)
- Guy Gift Guideline #6: Go with Manly Gifts (2/9/2008)
- Gifts for TV Show Fanatics (12/16/2007)
- Give the Gift of Charity (12/14/2007)
- Golden Tickets: Giving the Gift of a Concert (8/8/2007)
- Movie Night Gift (7/22/2007)
- Twenty-five “1,000-Plus” Book Gifts (7/20/2007)
- Giving the Gift of Food (5/19/2007)
Tags: father's day, for dad, gifts by occasion
Happy Father’s Day! I hope Dads enjoyed gifts and time with their children today. I sent my dad a Cheryl&Co. bakery gift tower tied with a blue Happy Father’s Day ribbon. The four-tiered baked goods ensemble includes:
- 18 assorted cookies
- crunchy chocolate chip cookies
- fudge brownie minis
- confection pretzel clusters
- four slices of cake
Check out Cheryl&Co.’s different bakery gift towers for your next delicious delivered gift.
Tags: chocolate+candy, father's day, food, for dad, for her, for hosts, gift baskets, gift ideas, gift sites, guy gifts, indulgences